New to Arnold so please bare with me.
Trying out some new workflows, to see if I can quickly get a normal map from an asset (in Maya).
So what I've done so far was:
1. Apply a roundcorners node on a aiutilty node (set the shade more to flat and color mode to Normal)
Result in render
2. Use render to texture an AOV (diffuse) to get the World Space normals.( i assume they are World Space?)
3. Open the exr file convert to 16bit in photoshop and save as a png.(cant save as another file format)
4. Use Handplane to convert the png file from Object space to tangent space (Handplane does not convert World space to tangent space).
5. Take the new converted file and apply it back in Maya as a normal map.
Result (normals are wrong)
I assume there is no way of getting a normal map directly baked on a texture from an AOV?
Is there a way to get the object space normals instead?
If you can render out a normal map, how should I have my smoothing groups?
How do I control padding?
How do I fix the graininess on the render to texture settings? (Camera settings (AA) were set to 4
Any help would be greatly appreciated.