I decided to test out the new features of Arnold 4.0.3.
More specifically the USD support in Arnold.
What I did was create a simple object (in my case a Chrome ball)
Exported that selection into a USD using the USD exporter that's now native in arnold 4.0.3.
Afterwards import it through a standin.
This all works, BUT when I create a second standin and use the same source file of the usd the problems start.
The moment i want to render this out (IPR) either:
-Maya instantly disappears
-Maya freezes completely, IPR keeps a black screen and CPU keeps calculating at 97%
Don't really think there will be a solution but thought I should share this with the devs.
Hope this helps :)