question

Amy Zhao avatar image
Amy Zhao asked ·

Camera error: invalid camera matrix

Ran into an issue when I tried importing an alembic cache camera and tried running a render.

The script editor reads:

# Error: ShotCam_10_16_Shape2020: invalid camera matrix (zero determinant) #


The render shows up as black noise. Currently using Maya 2019 and MtoA 3.1.2

What's strange is I checked the graph editor in the original file with the animated camera and everything looks fine. As soon as I copy those keys onto a new camera that i create, it also becomes buggy.


Camera looks fine in the viewport, just doesn't want to cooperate when I try to render or preview IPR.


Anyone else run into this issue?

arnoldrendererror
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 5 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 2.0 MiB each and 9.8 MiB total.

Paul Carter avatar image
Paul Carter answered ·

Is the scale of the camera something other than 1? Or if it's been grouped and the group has been scaled? I've found that Arnold doesn't like camera's that have been scaled. I get around this by making a new camera and parent constraining it to the original camera, so it's scale remains at 1.

10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 5 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 2.0 MiB each and 9.8 MiB total.

Jon Speer avatar image
Jon Speer answered ·

Did you find a fix for this? I am also running into the issue.

10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 5 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 2.0 MiB each and 9.8 MiB total.

Lennart Oberscheidt avatar image
Lennart Oberscheidt answered ·

Yes, for a while we encountered that daily and switched to fbx for cameras for a period. There really wasn't any logic to it and some abc caches that worked fine the day before just stopped working, sometimes switching cameras in the IPR just did the trick to get it working again, sometimes cameras were basically left broken forever. It was annoying as hell and happend with alembic caches from Nuke, Houdini, you name it. Never found a fix, never found a source for the bug, and didn't feel like spending much time investigating such an obvious issue since well… as soon as you used alembic caches you would encounter that one sooner or later. I don't know a single Maya/Arnold user who uses abc regularly that hasn't encountered this at one point or another. It hasn't happened in a while though so I just assumed whatever was broken was fixed. Encountered this in 2018, 2019 and maybe even in vanilla 2020 without updates. But yeah, wouldn't be surprised if that one just showed up again one day out of the blue.

10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 5 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 2.0 MiB each and 9.8 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 5 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 2.0 MiB each and 9.8 MiB total.

Welcome to the Arnold Answers community.

This is the place for Arnold renderer users everywhere to ask and answer rendering questions, and share knowledge about using Arnold, Arnold plugins, workflows and developing tools with Arnold.

If you are a new user to Arnold Answers, please first check out our FAQ and User Guide for more information.

When posting questions, please be sure to select the appropriate Space for your Arnold plugin and include the plugin version you are using.

Please include images, scene and log files whenever possible as this helps the community answer your questions.

Instructions for generating full verbosity log files are available for MtoA, MaxtoA, C4DtoA, HtoA, KtoA, and Kick.

If you are looking for Arnold Documentation and Support please visit the Arnold Support site.

To try Arnold please visit the Arnold Trial page.

Bottom No panel present for this section.